A Part of Fierce Play’s Grounded Gymnastics Series
The sit-up is an exercise in which the athlete sits up from a horizontal position on the floor without leveraging the strength of his/her arms or legs. The sit-up is one of the most foundational exercises used to strengthen the abdominal, or core, muscles. It should be noted that while sit-ups can be performed without the use of an AbMat® or other type of support device, Fierce Play recommends the use of an AbMat® to assist with a better extension of the back and ab muscles, and to ultimately increase strength. Athletes will immediately feel abdominal muscles activated as they perform the movement, with practically all of the exercise focusing on the use and strengthening of those core muscles.
Watch the video clip below for a full explanation of technique, tips and tricks for performing the movement with efficiency, as well as precautions for staying safe.
- Grab an AbMat®: You’ll notice that the AbMat® has a thinner and fatter part to it. Place the fatter end of the mat up against your glutes. This is the optimal position of the mat to allow for maximum extension of your abs, giving you more bang for your buck as you work to strength your core muscles.
- Butterfly Position: Place the soles of your feet together so that you have your legs in a butterfly position. This ensures that your knees aren’t in your way and that you actually can have a full range of motion while completing the sit-up.
- Reach Far: As you extend back and lower yourself onto the AbMat®, reach your arms all the way behind your head and touch your fingertips to the floor. Then, as you sit up, reach all the way forward with your arms extended and touch in front of your toes. This little bit of an extra reach will go a long way in improving your abdominal strength.
TIPS + TRICKS:
- Grab Your Legs: If you’re struggling to sit all the way back up using your core muscles, you can scale the exercise by grabbing your legs to assist in coming fully upright. Once you are sitting upright, still reach in front of toes and touch the floor to get the most bang for your buck from the movement.
- Scale: If you’re unsure about completing the sit-up with proper form, talk with your coach about scaling in a different manner so that you can focus on perfecting the technique while gaining strength. It’s great to push yourself to the next level, so long as you stay safe and prevent injury!
QUESTIONS: Ready to get started, or curious to learn more about how Fierce Play can help you meet your health and wellness goals? Contact us for more information. Also feel free to check out more of our videos series to learn how to perform the basics with solid form and efficiency.
GROUNDED GYMNASTICS SERIES: Technique at Every Stage
Fierce Play’s Grounded Gymnastics Series focuses on proper technique, as well as tips & tricks, to master some of the foundational movements that will be integrated into many of the workouts you will perform. Start your next workout with the confidence and skills to do the movement safely and effectively.